Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Friend's Cute Tokens and The Flashback

Sharon Yong of SunPower Solar Malaysia Sdn. (left) and myself during my visit to Malaysia

Just recently I received some cute souvenirs from Malaysia courtesy of my friend, Sharon Yong. It is always good to know that someone remembers you despite the long distance. It was brought by one of our manager who had a business trip at our Fab 3, AUO-SunPower Malaysia.  These cute little souvenirs are shown below.

A cute handmade cellphone holder from Jonker Gallery in Melaka, Malaysia

When I saw the word "Jonker", I remember my visit to Jonker Street in Melaka.  I had a great time back then trying various Malaysian food that were sold along Jonker Street.  It was actually a "Food Trip" with two of my friends,  Nurul Nadia Mohn Roslan and Felicia Chin's brother, Alvin.

Me and my friend, Nadia at Jonker Street

Jonker Street (also known as Jalan Hang Jebat) is actually a historical place during the Dutch occupation of Malaysia.  Jonker Street literally means "Second Class Gentlemen".  During those times, it was the residence of servants servicing the houses of the affluent families in Heeren Street.  At present,  Jonker Street is known as one of the best places to hunt and bargain for antiques, arts, crafts and souvenirs.

The province of Melaka where Jonker Street can be found is a historical place.  The history of Malaysia begins from Melaka. It was founded by an exiled prince from Sumatra, Parameswara in 1400.  It blossomed as a port-of-call to many ships and merchants from China, India, Arab and South America.

A wooden cat

I wonder why my friend gave me a cat inspired souvenirs ?  Well, I guess because of its positive symbolism. It was said that because of their nine lives, cat symbolizes rebirth and resurrection. They have the spirit of independence, cleverness and curiosity.  Just like dogs, they are good companions.

A close-up of the wooden cat's face

THANKS SHARON FOR THESE CUTE SOUVENIRS !
"Terimah Kasih"

No comments: