Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Cute Little “Janggu”







Last Wednesday, June 2, 2010, my good friend who I now called the “Toy Hunter” (He is a kid at heart… A kid trapped in a man’s body…he, he, he) gave me a “Pasalubong” from Korea plus my long lost hanky (Great ! I got it back ‘coz I have been missing it for quite sometime now !!!). Since I love collecting souvenirs, I was glad to have it. It's cute and I love it ! It’s an addition to all the cute little things hanging on my cubicle's wall. It’s kinda surprising because I find him “Kuripot”. But he can spend so much on toys and forget about himself (Don’t forget about your health, eat !). Take note he buys not the ordinary toys but the expensive collectible ones… He is Hadi-Yo, the “Toy Hunter”. For sure, he is down at Greenhills hunting for the toys in the picture he recently printed out. I love the Wonder Woman ‘coz I’m a fan of this super hero when I was a child.

What is “Pasalubong” and its cultural significance for Filipinos ? The root of the word is the word “salubong” which means “ to welcome” and the prefix “pa” is the shortening of “pang”. “Pasalubong” is transliterated as “something meant for you when you welcome me back”. It could also mean “Homecoming Gift.” The term can describe any gift one gives upon a return from any journey, no matter how short or how long. Pasalubong is very popular among Filipinos as it keeps the bond with friends, family, relatives or someone who does have close relationship with you. The gesture of handing out "pasalubong" conveys that loved ones are being remembered while away. Pasalubong can range from food items such as fruits, imported confectionery goods and other sweets. It can also be other items such as clothing, accessories, novelty items and toys among others. Pasalubongs are often not wrapped and given to someone as it is.

The Pasalubong that Hadi-Yo gave me was a drum and I wonder what kind of drum was it and does it have a cultural significance in Korea ??? I wanted to find out the details so I made some research about it and this is what I found-out. The specific name of the drum is Janggu. "The janggu (or janggo; also spelled changgo) or sometimes called seyogo (slim waist drum) is the most widely used drum used in the traditional music of Korea. It is available in most kinds, and consists of an hourglass-shaped body with two heads made from animal skin. The two heads produce sounds of different pitch and timbre, which when played together are believed to represent the harmony of man and woman." Interesting fact isn’t it ?





Well, Hadi-Yo.. Thanks for the cute little “Janggu” !!! You are such a thoughtful person ! :o)

1 comment:

Flowersblooms said...

It's great to have a friend who remembers you ! :o)