Monday, December 8, 2014

A White Christmas with Queen Elsa and Olaf

THE SNOW QUEEN, ELSA AND OLAF

I am dreaming of a white Christmas so our home Christmas decoration was inspired by the popular Disney Movie, "FROZEN" that kids and kids at heart love.  We did not buy them... it is hard to look for a life size replica of Queen Elsa and Olaf  in stores unless you ask someone to manufacture it for you. That will definitely be too expensive.  My step mom and I made them from scratch.  Our combined talents in arts and crafts, creativity and imagination turned out well and we made a beautiful and great Christmas decorations.

  Queen Elsa of Arendale

Let me start with Queen Elsa,  the body's brace to make it stand  is made of used wood that we found in our yard.  We stuffed the body with used paper which came from my sister's personal shipments. My sister was an expatriate in Malaysia and her contract ended already.   She had to ship her personal belongings back and the items where packed/wrapped with lots of large brown paper to protect them before placing them in boxes.  Elsa's arms are stuffed paper, too supported by wires and plastics.

 Elsa's Dress
Her gown which many of our neighbors love is from an "Ukay-Ukay" store (used clothing store).  It is actually a beautiful beaded and embroidered wedding gown with a built-in petticoat.  We put white blouse underneath with a long embroidered sleeves accentuated by a light blue satin like cloth and a sheer white embroidered curtain.  The white gloves were from my step mom.

 Beads and Embroidery

Queen Elsa's Face
 The face was a cut-out image of Elsa's face and we placed it on a styropor.  The hair was combinations of  long blond and brown wigs braided together and we put some bling-blings for the glittery effects. 

 Queen Elsa's Tiara
The tiara is from a kid's party and accessory section I found in a bargain store and it matches Elsa's dress.
OLAF
Queen Elsa's power created a living snow man named, Olaf.  He has the ability to disassemble himself and he's funny with a wildest and impossible dream of living in summer.

What is Olaf made of ?  I made it using a 5-gallon water container and adding cartons and stuffing it with paper until it becomes round in shape.  I found a steel rod in our junk yard that fits the opening of the container to attach the head of Olaf.  After completing the entire body,  I wrapped it with a white raincoat which I got from a store for free when I bought some gift items for Christmas.  This display is for outdoor so I need to make sure it is water proof.  I completed it with a black plastic board for the eyes, brows and buttons and attached a carrot shaped styropor for the nose. Olaf's arms and hands are twigs from trees which I painted brown.  The hair is made of black chenille wire tube stem which is used for arts and crafts.

 Water Container for Olaf's body

Adding cartons and paper stuffing to the body and attaching a rod for the face of Olaf

Completed Olaf

 
 SNOW EFFECTS ON BACKGROUND

There is no snow in the Philippines, you might be wondering what I used to create the snow effects on the display background.  I used a silky fiber commonly used to stuff conventional pillows called kapok and it came from the Kapok or silk-cotton tree.

 Kapok Cotton

After the ripe pods of the tree are harvested, the floss is removed by hand from the pods, dried, freed from seeds and dust. The lustrous, yellowish floss is light, fluffy, resilient, and resistant to water and decay. It is used as a stuffing, especially for life preservers, pillow, bedding, and upholstery, and for insulation against sound and heat.

Kapok Tree
Photo from http://www.metaefficient.com

On the right and left side of Queen Elsa and Olaf are cute little santas and Christmas windmills The santas are hand made as well.  The masks came from a bargain store.

THE CUTE LITTLE SANTAS AND CHRISTMAS WINDMILLS





Little Santa's cute face


 THE FRONTAGE OF THE HOUSE
It's a snowy Christmas !
 

Watch out for my next blog,  I will be posting my simple Christmas Village and  our other Christmas home decorations...

Please visit my other blog :
http://heavenlybaked-elvierose.blogspot.com





No comments: